Dr. Joy Elamon
Kerala institute of Local Administration
+91 - 487 - 2201312
+91 - 487 - 2201062
Date of Birth : 04.07.1963
Sex : Male
Marital Status : Married
Languages Known : English , Malayalam & Hindi
KILA, Mulamkunnthukavu PO, Thrissur, Kerala-680581
- Masters in Public Health (MPH), Achutha Menon Centre for Health Sciences Studies, SreeChitra Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology, Trivandrum Kerala, India, 1997-1998
- MBBS Bachelor degree in Medicine and Surgery (Government Medical College Trivandrum, University of Kerala, India), 1982-88
- Successfully completed a course on ‘Climate Change and Health’ at Institute of Public Health, University of Heidelberg, Germany.
Awards and Achievements
- National Resource Person of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj for decentralised participatory planning by Panchayats (GPDP), Key trainer for SDGs and Local Governments.
- Was included in the UNDP Democratic Governance Roster of Experts in Local Governance and Local Development
- Awarded the Outstanding Community Builder award by UNDP India (Solution Exchange) in 2007
- Core team member and Technical Advisor for the South Asia Climate Proofing and Growth Development (CPGD) – Climate Change Innovation Programme (CCIP)
Areas of Expertise
- Decentralisation and local governance
- Capacity development including TNA, innovations, system design, monitoring and piloting innovations
- Institution development
- Programme and campaign design and management, with multifarious partners like government, civil society organisations, academic institutions
- Project management, especially those with small producer organisations
- Knowledge management for development
- Anti-poverty programme development through women’s self help groups and local governments
- Participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation especially in the context of local economic development and gender
- Public health programme development and implementation especially related to disease prevention activities like improving water and sanitation, immunisation, health education, nutrition etc
- Climate change and development – adaptation and mitigation planning
- Health Impacts due to climate change
|19-05-2017 to Present||-|
01-05-2011 to May 2017
01 - 05 -2011 to May 2017
|Nov 2008 – April 2011||2 years and 4 months|
|April 2003 – Nov 2008||5 years and 8 months|
|January 2000 – March 2003||3 years and 3 months|
|August 1996 – December 1999||3 years and 5 months|
|January 1995 – July 1996||1 year and 7 months|
|July 1990 – December 1994|
|September 1989 – July 1990||9 months|
Other Key Accomplishments
- Coordinated the project on ‘Local Planning and Democratic Participation as Mechanisms for Improving Third World Health Conditions: Recent Experiments in Kerala, India’ in association with Montclair University, New Jersey, USA with the grant support from MacArthur Foundation, USA
- Was member of the team for preparing the report on Fiscal Decentralisation to Rural Governments in India by The World Bank
- Special invitee to the Prof. M.A. Oommen Committee on decentralisation in Kerala
- Country coordinator for the study on ‘Stigma and Discrimination against People Living with HIV/AIDS’- a six nation study organised by Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia and supported by Ford Foundation
- Coordinated in the state of Kerala the project on ‘Building Capacities of Women’s Groups on Women’s Health’ supported by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in association with WHO (1999-2000)
- Was part of the team as a consultant to the study on ‘Health and development status of Kerala after a decade’ (1997) conducted by Integrated Rural Technology Centre (IRTC) of Kerala SasthraSahithyaParishad (KSSP). This was a repeat of the 1987 survey and the tasks were the same.
- Consultant to the study on ‘Health and Development in Rural Kerala’ conducted by Integrated Rural Technology Centre (IRTC) of Kerala SasthraSahithyaParishad (KSSP 1987). Instrumental in helping to design the survey, train data gatherers and analyse the data later.
- Former Vice President of the Kerala SasthraSahithyaParishad (KSSP), a voluntary organization which focuses on governance issues, environment, education, health and development and has ‘science for social development’ as the motto
- Presently the President of KSSP Delhi Forum.
- Formerly member of the Syndicate, Senate and Academic Council of University of Kerala
- Paper presentations and talks in Thailand, Australia, USA, Spain, France, Brazil, Switzerland, Philippines and Bolivia
- Health Sector Reforms in Kerala : Decentralization Initiatives and the Lessons’ in the book ‘Health sector reforms in India’, Centre de Humaines, 2009
- Decentralisationof Health Services: The Kerala People’s Campaign. International Journal Of Health Services, 34;4:681-708 With Richard W. Franke And Ekbal B.
- A Situational Analysis Of HIV/AIDS Related Stigma And Discrimination In Kerala, India’ In AIDS Care, Volume 17, Supplement 2/July 2005
- Chapter on ‘People’s Initiatives in Water’ in the book ‘Reclaiming Public Waters’, Transnational Institute, Amsterdam
- Paper on ‘Agricultural Development and Japanese B encephalitis of Kuttanad’ in MFC bulletin and this paper was considered as the background paper for the annual theme meet on ‘The resurgence of infectious diseases’ in January, 1998 at Wardha, India.
- Paper on ‘Gender Differentials in Immunisation Status of Children in India’ in the ‘Journal of Family Welfare’, vol.4, 1998.
A few books Published / Translated / Edited
- Non-governmental support system for local governments: A guidebook – Published by Intercooperation with support from LOGIN
- Co-Edited the book ‘Development Perspective- First Step in the Formulation of a District Plan’ (State Planning Board 2000)
- Executive Editor – ‘People’s Plan Campaign a Text Book’ (Malayalam) published by State Institute of Languages, Kerala, India – 2000
- Editor- ‘New Expanses in Quality of Services’ – compilation of papers published in connection with the International Conference on Democratic Decentralisation (2000) published by State Planning Board, Kerala
- Translated a book on hazardous drugs from English to Malayalam (Published by KSSP), ‘Against the traders of diseases.’
- Translated the book ‘The Challenge of AIDS’ into Malayalam. (Published by National Book Trust, India)