Dr. Rajesh K
Senior Urban Fellow
Kerala institute of Local Administration
+91 - 487 - 2207000
+91 - 487 - 2201062
Date of Birth : 26 April 1978
Sex : Male
Marital Status : Married
Languages Known : Malayalam, English & Hindi
KILA, Mulamkunnthukavu PO, Thrissur, Kerala-680581
Mode of Appointment : Regular
Date of Joining in Service : 11 February 2021
- Ph.D. in Development Studies
- Master of Social Work (MSW)
- PG Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Senior Urban Fellow, Center for Urban Governance, KILA
- Course Director, Training of Urban Local Governments
- Coordination of Trainings on waste management
- Coordination of Trainings on extreme poverty eradication
- Undertaking academic studies
- Internal committee member
- Student Internship Guidance
Major International and National Assignments Completed / On going
- Research team member representing Kerala state for the Centre for Policy Research in Higher Education [CPRHE] to work in the project “Diversity and Discrimination in higher education in India”, of National University of Education Planning and Administration [NEUPA].
Areas of Expertise
- Expertise in Local Planning,
- Local Economic Development,
- Participatory Planning,
- Social Science Research Methodology,
- Qualitative Research,
- Urban Governance
- Decentralized Planning & Grassroots Democracy
- Social Exclusion
Areas of Interest
- Democratic decentralization
- Local planning
- Social exclusion and inclusive studies
- Policy research
Other Academic Positions
- Senior Fellow, Integrated Rural Technology Center, Palakkad, Kerala
Significant Awards Received
- ICSSR fellowship for PHD programme (2008-2012)
Important Consultancy Programmes ( National & International)
- Performed as Consultant Advisor, Foundation for Ecological Security (FES), Anand Gujarat, during 2015-2019.
- Carried out responsibilities in preparing strategic paper on National Level Decentralized Planning.
- Developed Strategy paper for block planning in five states (Gujarat, Rajasthan, Orissa, Karnataka, and Andhra).
- Local Politics and Participatory planning in Kerala. Primus Books, New Delhi (2020).
- Local planning and democracy: Lessons from Kerala. Kanishka publishers, New Delhi (2015).
- Vikendreekritha Asoothranam Keralathile Anubhavangal. (Malayalam) (2011), (Decentralized Planning: Kerala’s experiences) Kerala Sasthra Sahithya Parishad, Kerala.
- Kerala Vikasanam oru Janapaksha Sameepanam (Kerala Development: A People’s Oriented Approach, Malayalam), Kerala Sasthra Sahithya Parishad (M.P. Parameswaran & K Rajesh Eds, 2015).
Research Articles/ Chapters
- Participatory institutions and people’s practices in India: An analysis of the decentralization experiences in Kerala State, in D. Sundar Ram, Eds, (2009), Grassroots Planning and Local Governance in India: Policy initiatives and people’s participation, P.P.198-216, Kanishka publishers, New Delhi
- Leaving no one behind, Lessons from the Kerala disasters (2019). Reimagining the role of local self-governments in Kerala in disaster management
International / National Conference attended
- International Congress on Kerala Studies 2015 & 2016
- ICSSR sponsored two day National Seminar on“ Development at Margins: Marginality and Marginalization in India’s Growth Story”, Tamil Nadu 2015
- National seminar on Democratic Decentralisation in Kerala: Prospects and challenges, Santhigiri Thiruvananthapuram, 2012.
- National seminar on Decentralised governance and women empowerment, Institute of Parliamentary affairs, Thiruvananthapuram 2010
- National Colloquium on Grass roots level planning and local government institutions in India, Academy of grassroots governance and research of India, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, August 2009
- National seminar on ‘Praxis–Burgeoning paradigms in participatory approaches, Kalady Kerala 2006
- International Conference on A decade of decentralization in Kerala: Issues Options and Lessons, Institute of Social Sciences, New Delhi. Organised at Thiruvananthapuram, October 2005.
International Fellowships & Visits
- Serves as Ph.D. research guide since June 2020, with Instituto Politecnico Nacional (IPN) Mexico, at the Superior School of Economics.
- Rajesh. K., Gandharv Palliwal, and Nirali Sukhla. (2018), “Strategy paper for block planning”, Foundation for Ecological Security, Anand, Gujarat.
- Rajesh K and M Benson Thomas (2011), “Decentralisation and interventions in health sector: A critical inquiry into the experience of Local Self Governments in Kerala” (Working paper No271), Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore.
- Rajesh K (2010), “Reproduction of institutions through people’s practices: Evidences from a Grama Panchayath in Kerala” (Working Paper No 254), Institute for Social and Economic Change (ISEC), Bangalore, ISBN: 978-81-7791-110-7
Training and Capacity Building Related Publications
- Training Programme for Child Friendly Local Governance. Impact Assessment of KILA
- A Training Programme on Capacity building for Municipal officers. Impact Assessment of KILA
Selected research reports
- Exploring potentials of local governments in improving the quality of secondary education: mapping experiments and prospects of Thrissur district panchayaths, Kerala. Funded by UNICEF 2019 – 2020
- Policy research project on diversity and discrimination in higher education of India, for National Institute for Education Planning and Administration (NIEPA 2016)
- Role of Model Residential Schools in the Educational Attainment of Tribal Students: An Analysis of Performance of Tribal Residential Schools in Kerala. for Kerala State Planning Board (2020).