Kerala Institute of Local Administration (KILA) is an autonomous institution functioning for the Local governments in Kerala. It was registered under the Travancore-Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Societies Act 1955. The Central university of Kerala has recognised it as a Research centre attached to the Department of International Relations w.e.f 14 July 2014. Ever since its inception in 1990, KILA has been engaged in myriad of capacity building interventions on local governance and decentralization; including training, action-research, publications, seminars and workshops, consultancy, documentation, handholding and information services.
KILA has the mandate of facilitating and accelerating the socio-economic development of the State through strengthening the Local Self Government Institutions (LSGIs). As a Government of Kerala supported nodal agency for training, research and consultancy, KILA is committed to the following objectives:
- Undertake various training programmes for the Elected Representatives and Officials of Rural and Urban Local Governments of Kerala,
- Facilitate and strengthen decentralized planning process,
- Undertake action-oriented research activities,
- Document best practices on local governance for dissemination,
- Organize seminars, workshops and discussions, and
- Formulate policy documents.
Area of Expertise
KILA has established its expertise in the following core areas:
- Participatory Planning
- Local Governance and Development
- Urban Governance and Development
- Local Economic Development and Livelihood Promotion
- Participatory Poverty Management
- Child Rights Governance
- Gender and Development
- Inclusive Governance and Development
- Natural Resource Management and Watershed Development
- Financial Management
- Food Security and Sustainable Agricultural Development
- Good Governance and Social Accountability
- Human Development
- Training Skills Development
- Total Quality Management
- Centre for Tribal Development and Natural Resource Management, Agali, Palakkad .
- Centre for Human Resource Development, Kottarakkara, Kollam .
- Centre for Good Governance, Mannuthy, Thrissur .
- Centre for Socio-Economic Development, Kottarakkara, Kollam .
- Centre for Organic Farming and Waste Management, Thaliparamba, Kannur
- Regional Centre , Thiruvananthapuram