Dr. Peter M Raj
Kerala institute of Local Administration
+91 - 487 - 2207090
+91 - 487 - 2201062
Date of Birth : 31.07.1967
Sex : Male
Marital Status : Married
Languages Known : English & Malayalam
KILA, Mulamkunnthukavu PO, Thrissur, Kerala-680581
Mode of Appointment : Regular
Date of Joining in Service :
- Ph.D (Sociology)
- MA (Sociology)
- MA (Philosophy)
- B.A. (Philosophy)
Other Key Accomplishments
- Team Member for Preparing National Capability Building Framework (NCBF) by Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Govt.of India.
- Team Member, Capacity Assessment of the States of Rajasthan for implementing National Capacity Building Framework for Local Governments of India for the Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India
- External Facilitator for Local Government Reform Programme of GTZ and Govt. of Sri Lanka initiated in (Tsunami affected) Local Authorities of Sri Lanka
- Co -ordinated “South Asian level experience sharing workshops on local governance reforms” at Colombo, Sri Lankafor Swiss Agency for Development Co-operation(SDC)
- Team Leader for “ review of capacity building initiatives for Strengthening Rural Decentralization (SRD) in West Bengal, India. The review was done on behalf of Govt.of West Bengal and DFID.
- Principal Investigator of the research study “HIV/AIDS: Capacity building needs of elected leaders at local self governance bodies in Kerala”, funded by DFID and SHRC, New Delhi.
- External Evaluator for Futures Group International and National AIDS Control Organisation (NACO) New Delhi for developing HIV/AIDS district plan and evaluation of HIV/AIDS targeted intervention programmes.
- Developed local government level Policy Guideline for Govt. of Kerala on Jagrata Samiti, Comprehensive Child Development Plan, Palliative Care and HIV/AIDS.
- Prepared micro level planning among sex workers and their children of Calicut City, Kerala, for preparing a comprehensive community development plan for ACTION AID.
- Evaluated Community Development Societies (CDS- latter renamed as Kudumbasree- the network of poor women) in Urban Local Governments of Kerala for Govt.of Kerala and UNICEF.
Areas of Expertise
- Child- Friendly Local Governance
- Local Governance Reforms
- Capacity Building and Training
- Social Welfare Management ( Gender, aged, children, palliative care, disability)
- Programme Management
- Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation of Social Development Programmes
- Designing Social Policy Development
- Interface for Development (Facilitating partnership for development)
- Member, working group on child development and nutrition of Kerala State Planning Board, constituted for 13th five year plan
- Member, State Resource Group (SRG) for Local Governments, constituted by LSGD, Govt. of Kerala
- Member, Planning Committee for 13th five year plan for Malappuram District Panchayat, Thrissur Corporation and Kodakara Grama Panchayat
- Nodal Officer, Panchayat Sashaktikaran Abhiyan (PSA) (previously RGPSA), Ministry Panchayati Raj, Govt.of India
- Associate Professor and Chair, UNICEF Supported Child Resource Centre, KILA
- Team Member, Strengthening Capacities of Panchayati Raj in India (SCPRI) Project of Ministry Panchayati Raj, Govt..of India
- Nodal Officer, SCPRI – KILA Project of Ministry Panchayati Raj, Govt..of India for the preparation of Resource Materials on Women and Child Development
- Chairman, Doctoral Committee (Sociology and Social Work), University of Kannur
- Research Guide (Sociology and Social Work) Ph.D level in University of Kannur, Kerala, India.
- Research Guide (Social Science): Ph.D level in Central University of Kerala.
- Local Government-led Community-Based Palliative Care Programmes in Kerala, Rajagiri Journal of Social Development Volume 8, Number 2, December 2016
- Child-Friendly Local Governance: Concepts and Methodology, KILA Journal of Local Governance, Vol.3, no.1, January – June, 2016
- Documentation of Best Practices: Towards a Framework for Expanding Local Governance, KILA Journal of Local Governance, Vol.1 – No.1; Jan-June 2013
- Empowerment of Women Elected Members of Kerala: What Next? , Article in the edited volume, “Elected Women Representatives and Empowerment ”, Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi, 2011
- Poverty Reduction: Strategic intervention by the local self governments of Kerala, Governance Journal, vol.5, Sri Lanka Institute of Local Governance, Sri Lanka, 2008.
- Decentralised governance and poverty reduction- lessons from Kerala, (Edited Volume) KILA, India, 2006.
- Panchayati Raj system in India: An overview, Article in the edited volume, Decentralised governance and poverty reduction- lessons from Kerala, KILA, India, 2006.
- Poor are targeted better: An experience from a Grama Panchayat of Kerala, An article in Journal of Local Governance, Vol.1, No.1, 2005,” KILA, India.
International Fellowships & Visits
- Harvard Kenney School of Governance, Harvard University, Boston, USA : “Creating Collaborative Solutions: Innovations in Governance” .
- UN HABITAT, Govt. of Israel at The Golda Meir Mount Carmel International Training Center, Haifa, Israel : “Gender and Local Governance”
- London School of Economics, London : “Leadership: Current approaches to leadership and applications to professional development” .
- Wageningen International, The Netherlands : “Local governance for rural development: Multi-stakeholder processes for institutional strengthening”.
- GTZ, Sri Lanka: “. Public Redressal Programme for the Local Governments of Sri Lanka